Ads code here

Tuna Can Lantern

Do not forget! follow DIYSelfy on facebook to get new and fresh ideas and updates everyday!

I used a tuna can, wood screw, copper adapter, and an old paint stick.If you don’t have an old paint stick, you could use an old broom stick – just cut the broom part off, or even buy a dowel.   The copper adapter was the most expensive part of this project – $3.00, but I like the way it looked. If you want to be really thrifty you could use a soda bottle cap on top of the stick. The adapter or cap adds a nice transition between the can and the stick and provides support.


 Using my  rotary drill that my hubby got me a few years ago for my birthday,I drilled a hole in the top of the paint stick.



Then I used a awl and hammer to make a hole in the center of the tuna can.


Assembly order:The copper adapter fits over the paint stick perfectly.Take your stick to the plumbing section at the hardware store and try a few different sizes out for the perfect fit.Every stick will be a bit different.


Screw the screw into the stick.


The top will look like this.


Place it in the ground.The lantern is complete – just needs a coat of paint.Once I removed the hurricane and candle, I sprayed the whole thing right where you see it in the photo – EASY!


I used Rust-Oleum’s Oil Rubbed Bronze so the lantern will coordinate with the chandelier I made last week for my deck.


All Done!If you have lots of wind – a hurricane such as the one I used will help keep the candles from burning out.


If you can’t find a hurricane when you are out thrifting – I also bought a small vase.It looks nice, too.



Lots of variation to choose from. A drinking glass works well also.You may even have an old set of glasses to make a matching set of lanterns to place around your entire yard.


Now I need to eat more tuna so I can make a few more so my yard will have all- over ambiance at night.

via inmyownstyle

Δημοσίευση σχολίου