When it comes to lust-worthy summer items, we’re pretty obsessed with the Eugenia Kim straw hats that have been popping up everywhere! They’re cute and fun and perfect for a day in the sun, but the price tag—well let’s just say it will put a dent in your wallet. Today, we are sharing how to get the look of this DIY sequin straw hat for about $10. Yes, $10! It’s quick, easy and the perfect DIY to try this weekend.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- A floppy straw hat
- Sequin ribbon—I used two rolls of ribbon for her hat, but it depends on what you want the hat to say.
- Glue gun—You can use another kind of clear drying glue, but I already had a mini glue gun and it worked well for me!
- A pencil
- Decide what you want to say on the hat. I went with “Out Of Office,” but some of my other ideas were “Vitamin Sea,” “Beach Please,” “Good Vibes Only” and “Go With The Waves.”
- Sketch it out! I practiced writing on a piece of paper, but then ultimately decided to sketch it really lightly on the hat so I could figure out how it would look.
- Then, with a very light touch on the glue gun, place a dab of glue on where you want to start your writing and glue the end of the sequin ribbon.
- I’m sure you could do this many different ways, but I put a dab of glue on the hat about every centimeter and then glued the ribbon. Next, I went back to put a dab of glue under other sections of the ribbon that I thought needed it. My ultimate goal was to get the overall placement of the sequins on the hat before really securing them on.
- The sequin ribbon is on a thread, so when you cut it, you want to make sure you don’t let the sequins keep falling off the thread. I found that doing that part slowly and carefully was really helpful. You can always go back and glue individual sequins down or cut any excess thread if you make any mistakes!
- If you use a glue gun, you will ultimately get those glue gun webs. I tried to get rid of them as I glued, but ultimately went back at the end to pull any of them off that were left behind.
- I found that I ended up not following my sketching on the hat exactly, so I went back after I was done and erased any lines that were visible!